home sibiu 2007
.
ROMĀNA
DEUTSCH
Sibiu 2007 . calendarul 2007 . Dimensiunea europeana . Orasul Sibiu . Comunicare
.
.
.
.
.
sibiu 2007
sibiu
ABOUT SIBIU
TOURISM

Home - About Sibiu - Tourism : HISTORIC PLACES

The Big Square (Piata Mare)
This is the historic center of Sibiu, first time mentioned in 1411 as corn market. The public executions and public meetings used to be held here. Here is the best shown the 'city eyes' the windows from the roofs.
For hundred of years the square changes the name from 'Grosser Ring' to 'King Ferdinand'.
The square has a length of 142 m and a wide of 93 m, being one of the largest in Transylvania.
The southern side of the square is declared architectural monument with preserved medieval styles.

The Small Square (Piata Mica)

The Small Square is the second largest historic place of Sibiu and one of the most beautiful square in town.
This square is a magnificent place surrounded by preserved medieval buildings and it is connected to the Large Square through narrows passages.
Ocnei Street divides the square in two and is the main way to the lower town.
The Liars Bridge is spanning over the street and make the connection to the Huet Sq.
Museum of Pharmacy, Museum 'Emil Sigerus' and Museum 'Franz Binder' are located here, as well as The Art House and the Goldsmith's Tower (1567) that connects the square with the lower tower through the Goldsmiths Passage, one of the most beautiful places in town.

The Huet Square (Piata Huet)
The Huet Square is surrounded by historic buildings built in gothic style.
The square is dominated by the Evangelic Cathedral and the Brukenthal High School. Facing the north side of the cathedral at No 1 is the parochial house with a lovely Gothic entrance of interlaced stone, carved in 1502 by Andreas Lapisida. Beside the parochial house stands one of the oldest buildings in town, the 13C Defense Tower and archway through which you can descent once more into the Lower Tower. Before walking down on the right-hand side is a 17C courtyard of private houses that seems to be untouched by the 20C.
Lower Tower (Orasul de Jos)
Strada 9 Mai is the place where Sibiu began. Here and in the parallel Strada Noua, the houses still show the social development that took place between the 13C - 14C, when agricultural farmsteads gave way to craftsman's dwellings.
At the further end of strada Zidului (Wall Street) stands the circular Gunpowder Tower (Turnul Pulberariei)
Follow strada Zidului west into strada Pulberariei, and at next junction stands an octagonal tower built by the Tanner's guild, Turnul Pielarilor. Strada Ocnei named after the salt mines that lay to the north of Sibiu. The house at number 26 is one of the oldest on Sibiu.
print
HOME : CONTACT : SITEMAP
Design by MB Solutions © 2005 - 2007, All Rights Reserved
 
<